Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Journal Entry #10

Today, I was selected as a possible juror (someone who performs jury duty). However, the court decided that they already had enough jurors. Part of me wishes that I could have participated in the case to see what it is like in the courtroom. However, part of me is glad that I don't have to miss class (because of my wonderful students and also the money). In America, the legal system includes lawyers, judges, and jurors. How does the legal system work in your country? Who decides whether a person is innocent or guilty?

Legal system in Korea

A lot of countries have different legal system because they have different culture. My country Korea legal system is a little different from American legal system but I don't know exactly about legal system. When I used live in Korea, I had watched that court TV show because it was popular program it was story about that a couple wanted to divorce so they were attended at court; then, there were only judge and lawyer so I didn't know why there were no public prosecutor. After that, I asked about court to my friend who was in law school, he said sometimes a court has different member but judge is always attended at court because judge has important position but juror couldn't be influence in Korea. Hundred years ago, Korea were controlled by Japan so many people arrested by Japanese police so many Koreans had bad feeling for them because they killed many people so till a few years ago, we had a little bad feeling about that. If someone report to the police, it means that someone has defect so we didn't like witness for someone but these days, a lot of things changed so we could attend at court for witness and it is not defect.

No comments: